Cleveleys Spiritualist Church History

4th May 1946

The Beginning

Cleveleys Church opened its doors on 4th May 1946 on Victoria Road, Cleveleys in a rented room in the arcade opposite the Regal Hotel. A "Building Fund" bank account was opened at Martins Bank Ltd., Cleveleys on that date by Mrs Annie Gorse and Mr James William Woodward with a deposit cheque of £30.
1953 - 1958

Move to Cleveleys Avenue

Between 1953 & 1958 the Church moved to a rented premises in Cleveleys Avenue, which consisted of a double fronted shop with small hallway, kitchen and toilet. The rent was set at a nominal amount of £5 a week as the premises was owned by a gentleman, who was a member of the church. The Church and its congregation enjoyed this benefit for a number of years but after the gentleman passed away the rent was increased to £55 per week. It was then agreed by the Committee and Members that we should make every effort to find a building more suitable and more affordable to house the Church. With this as their goal, all the members set about raising money and eventually, after a great deal of work and commitment by everyone associated to the Church the sum of £6000 was raised.
1982/3

Legacy from Mrs Jessie Lupton

In 1982/3 the Church received a legacy from the late Mrs Jessie Lupton, a keen member of the Church, who donated the sale monies from her bungalow, which amounted to £16,000, to be used to purchase a suitable premises for the Church so that it would be established for all time with its own location. With the capital sum of £22,000 we looked for that location and on 28th July 1982 went for Planning Permission for 'Change of Use' on 93 Beach Road, Cleveleys. The SNU supported us on this planning application to the Planning Department of the local Council and eventually we moved in on the 19th January 1983
1984 - Present Time

Since that time there are many members who have worked very hard and dedicated their time to keeping this little Church open, many of them are in Spirit now but they have left a legacy for all to enjoy!! The Church remains at 93 Beach Road to this day and its little congregation is going stronger than ever and its work in the local community is far reaching. There are many we ALL have to thank for the benefits of our little Church and we Bless them for their endeavors. Love and Light to ALL

Mrs Jessie Lupton 'A Generous Lady'

Mrs Jessie Lupton was a very sweet and loving person. She was a true Spiritualist and devoted her life to helping people. She worked very hard to pay for her little bungalow, the proceeds of which, after her passing, were donated to the Church.

The back garden of her little bungalow was uncultured at the time she bought it but she lovingly nurtured it and cultivated every beautiful flower that could be imagined, which she then brought in to decorate the Church each week.

She used to walk down to Cleveleys Avenue every Saturday morning at around 7.30am to avoid traffic because she was practically blind and fill the Church with beautiful flowers for the Service. She would come before each Wednesday Service and make tea for everyone. She dedicated vases amongst many other things to the Church but most of all she gave her love and kindness to all the people who came into the Church!!

It was her dream that one day we would have our own Church and so that her dream could come true - she left all her wordly goods to the Church after passing so that Cleveleys Church would always own its own premises.

Although there are not many members who still remember her and what she did and the part she played in making Cleveleys Spiritualist Church what it is today.

I believe it is important that we should not forget this very 'Generous Lady'


 

You will find this piece of Church History hanging on the wall in the main Hall